- Exfoliating Body Wash Vs. Regular Body Scrub
- Best Men’s Exfoliating Body Wash – Our Top Picks!
- Best Men’s Exfoliating Body Wash (Buying Guide)
- A Quick Guide to Exfoliating Your Body Like a Man
- Additional Tips on Exfoliating the Body for Men
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Words
Sometimes basic body wash isn’t enough when dealing with body odor, dirt, and grime among men. Don’t get me wrong, since I believe there is plenty of high-quality body washes out there. But as men, we sometimes need something more robust, especially after hitting the gym. And here’s where the best men’s exfoliating body wash comes in.
The exfoliating properties keep our stink areas clean, fresh, and smelling good! And investing in quality exfoliating body wash helps you take care of the dirty work—without doing actual work.
I reviewed five of the best exfoliating body washes to fight against body odor, bacteria, grime, and more in this post. These are fragrant, efficient, and most importantly, exfoliating!
Exfoliating Body Wash Vs. Regular Body Scrub
Regular body scrub and exfoliating body wash can help you smell better. However, the latter has more benefits in tow. After all, unlike typical body scrub, an exfoliating body wash can slough away dead skin cells. And this, in turn, promotes softer and healthier skin.
For better insight, here are benefits only an exfoliating body wash can offer to you:
- It’s gentler on the skin. Unlike regular body scrubs, exfoliating body washes are generally milder. That means you can use them every day without irritating your skin. Not to mention, it’s safer to use for those with sensitive skin.
- Exfoliating body wash cleanses, moisturizes, and hydrates. Since most brands use more intricate ingredients on exfoliating body washes, they can do more than your regular body scrub.
- It unclogs your pores. Exfoliating body washes can unclog your pores naturally. And this, in turn, prevents blackhead or whitehead growth over time.
- A lower level of grit. Exfoliating body washes contain a lower level of grit that prevents irritation. But it still can thoroughly cleanse and exfoliate the skin.
However, even regular body scrub can help slough off dead skin cells. So only use exfoliating body washes if you want a gentler solution.
If you’re planning on purchasing an exfoliating body wash, the five products below won’t disappoint!
Best Men’s Exfoliating Body Wash – Our Top Picks!
OUR #1 CHOICE
OUR TOP PICK: REN Clean Skincare Exfoliating Body Wash
Product Name: REN Clean Skincare Exfoliating Body Wash
Product Description: Sitting on top of my list for best men's exfoliating body wash is REN Clean Skincare Exfoliating Body Wash. A premium beauty brand, REN delivers quality results all while staying green. This is a chemical-free exfoliating body wash that's 100% vegan, perfect for men looking to go green. Or have sensitive skin. This product nourishes, smoothens, and tones your skin using Atlantic Kelp extract. So not only does it slough off dead skin, but it also promotes healthier skin. But what makes this stand out is that they infused the product with magnesium PCA. This is a soothing ingredient promoting better sleep, perfect for tired skin. And I was pleasantly surprised at how energized I got before using the body wash. Also, its use of cypress, sage, rosemary, and geranium essential oils added more to its soothing effects. REN helps you achieve smoother, cleaner and exfoliated skin alongside better sleep.
Value for money
Aside from its vegan-friendly content, this exfoliating body wash also has green packaging. Each bottle is made from recycled waste, from its metal-free pump to its grey bottle. So not only are you exfoliating your body, but you’re also saving the earth with each pump. Overall, this exfoliating body wash is an excellent premium pick for men with sensitive skin. It’s gentle and efficient on the skin and, not to mention, helps you sleep better. However, with its premium ingredients and packaging, expect a steeper price tag. But if you’re looking to exfoliate your body without issue, REN is your best bet! Anyway, most buyers, including myself, stand by this product’s quality.
- Promotes better sleep
- Gentle formula perfect for tired skin
- Recycled packaging
- Strong exfoliating properties
- Only available in one size
Art of Sport Men’s Exfoliating Body Wash
If you’re struggling to find an exfoliating body wash that also addresses excess sweat and oil, Art of Sport (AOS) is here to help. This body wash uses a deep-cleaning formula that keeps you fresh even after a strenuous workout. With Art of Sport, being sweaty has never been this fresh!
AOS leaves your skin clean and hydrated with activated charcoal for deep cleaning. And this stays consistent even with several showers every day. So you need to sacrifice your grind to exfoliate.
Moreover, the product promotes better moisturization using Aloe Vera for lasting hydration. It balances the activated charcoal, giving you a balanced body wash ideal for exfoliation. Aside from this, it uses purifying tea tree oil for added soothing effects.
Topping these off is its refreshing citrus fragrance that helps you stay on top of your game. With this, you’ll stay energized and refreshed at any time of the day.
But what surprised me is that this product’s formula is relatively clean. It’s free from sulfates, parabens, and other chemicals common in cheaper body washes.
However, the scent is a little overpowering and is not for everyone. So unless you don’t mind smelling like a teenager who just reached puberty, AOS is a great pick.
Mario Badescu A.H.A. Exfoliating Body Wash
The Mario Badescu A.H.A. Exfoliating Body Wash is the best choice for men suffering from acne and other skin issues.
With sweatier skin and less attention to self-care, men are more prone to skin issues than women. And this, in turn, often results in body acne and clogged pores. Luckily, with Mario Badescu, body exfoliation has never been this easy for men.
Not to mention it helps men reach hard-to-reach areas where infections are common. After all, it packs more than just a good scent.
Like Mario Badescu’s drying lotion, this body wash also does wonders on your skin. It dissolves dead skin, grime, debris, dirt, and bacteria. And with grapefruit and papaya extracts, this body wash sloughs dead skin cells naturally. As a result, you get smoother, softer, and cleaner skin.
Adding more to its soothing effects is healing oatmeal and ginseng extract. With this, each lather becomes more refreshing and energizing.
What’s more, since it uses natural ingredients, it’s safe enough to use for men with sensitive skin. So you don’t need to settle for lesser-quality body washes.
However, this premium product comes with a steep price. But it does wonder on the skin, promising healthier skin over time. So I’m confident to say this is worth the extra couple of bucks.
Drunk Elephant Kamili Cream Body Cleanser Exfoliating Body Wash
When it comes to premium body washes and body scrubs, Drunk Elephant is a name you’ll often encounter. They provide high-quality products for the right price. And the Drunk Elephant Kamili Cream Exfoliating Body Wash is no exception.
A sulfate-free body wash, this product provides optimal results after each wash. And thanks to its gentle formula, it can remove all impurities without drying your skin. Each lather only leaves clean and hydrated skin.
Using a soothing blend of sweet almond, maracuja oil, marula, and sacha inchi seed oil, Kamili calms you down while doing all the hard work. All you need to do is scrub, relax, and wait for the exfoliating body wash to take effect.
Moreover, its absence of alcohol, dyes, silicones, and artificial fragrances makes it safe to use for men with sensitive skin. With its multi-amino acid blend, you get tough and moisturized skin no matter how delicate you are.
The only issue is that I noticed the lather tended to take effect for a while. That means you need to leave the body wash to sit on your skin for a little while before you can rinse it off. And if you’re looking to exfoliate on the go, this isn’t the best choice.
Anyway, if you don’t mind waiting for a little while to get the best results, Drunk Elephant might save your skin!
My last pick for the best men’s exfoliating body wash is the Malin + Goetz Eucalyptus Hand Exfoliating Body Wash. For an invigorating experience, I highly suggest Malin + Goetz. It cleanses, clarifies, refreshes, and most importantly, exfoliates your body!
Combining anti-bacterial properties with gentle ingredients gives you a tough, yet mild body wash. So not only does it scrub off dead skin cells, but it also eliminates excess body odor and sweat.
What’s more, you can also use this body wash as a hand wash. With this, you’re getting the most value from your money in one bottle. But regardless of use, it removes sweat and leaves your skin smelling good—and feeling fantastic!
Also, what I liked a lot about this product is that it came with no tightness. It felt so light on my skin, keeping it moisturized and refreshing. I guess with the product’s generous use of glycerin and amino acids; this shouldn’t be a surprise.
Overall, Malin + Goetz is a great all-around body wash that keeps you invigorated and exfoliated. However, it’s pretty expensive considering its small bottle size. Anyway, if you’re looking for a premium pick and don’t mind splurging a little cash, get Malin + Goetz.
Best Men’s Exfoliating Body Wash (Buying Guide)
Buying the best men’s exfoliating body wash can be a challenge since there’s a lot to choose from in the market. Each product has its unique benefits and downsides, which can be subjective. That’s why you need to make sure the body wash you’re choosing is suitable for your skin.
I have listed factors you need to consider when choosing an exfoliating body wash below. These ensure you’re picking the best product for you—and your body!
✅ Skin Repairing Ingredients
There are two to take note of among the essential ingredients in exfoliating body washes. And these are stearic acid and ceramides.
Stearic acids are a type of fatty acid present in the outer layer of your skin. These seal the skin barrier, all while promoting softness. After all, applying stearic acid to your skin makes it act as an emollient, softening rough cells. With this, you get smoother and younger-looking skin.
Meanwhile, ceramides are lipids that have similar functions. They make sure your skin barrier stays intact, especially in dire circumstances. For instance, ceramides save the day by repairing the barrier when you develop dry skin.
✅ Acne-Fighting Properties
Most exfoliating body washes for men today use unique ingredients to combat acne. After all, acne is a common symptom among men. That’s why when choosing a body wash, I recommend looking for acne-fighting ingredients. After all, these slough off your dead skin cells, keeping bacteria—and acne at bay.
Also, even if you don’t suffer from acne, this factor is crucial as it keeps your skin smooth and bump-free. Not to mention, it prevents acne from developing in the first place.
✅ Gentle Ingredients
Besides those I mentioned, gentle ingredients are something you’d want to find in your exfoliating body wash. After all, you wouldn’t want a harsh body wash to damage your skin. And the worst-case scenario, these may leave your skin dry, rough, and bleeding.
That’s why when choosing a body wash, I recommend picking one that has little to no harsh detergents. Ideally, the body wash should use all-natural ingredients, leaving your skin feeling clean without the sting!
✅ Moisturizing Properties
Some exfoliating body washes are created to address dry skin as well. And these have moisturizing properties that keep your skin nourished and clean. However, make sure to read the body wash’s label to avoid disappointment.
✅ Soothing Properties
An essential factor in body washes that people oversee is the soothing properties. These properties, such as coolants, help soothe your skin with each wash. And it also prevents bacteria from building back up on your skin. That’s why before purchasing an exfoliating body wash, check for soothing ingredients.
The common soothing properties include menthol, Epsom salt, and mint.
A Quick Guide to Exfoliating Your Body Like a Man
When you get the best exfoliating body wash for men, you need to know what to do with it for the best results. Here’s a brief step-by-step guide regarding body exfoliation for men.
- Prepare your skin. I suggest exfoliating your body after cleansing to get the best possible results. After you clean your body, exfoliating is ideal, whether with plain warm water or soap and water. Doing so frees your skin from any dirt, grime, and sebum. And this makes it easier for the exfoliating body wash to take effect.
- Gently apply the body wash. I recommend using body gloves to apply your body wash of choice. Not only does this spread the product better, but it also prevents damage. Also, avoid stretching or pulling your skin when applying.
- Thoroughly rinse. After applying the body wash, you’ll want to rinse thoroughly. It’s best to use lukewarm water as it can remove lather easier. Not to mention using hot water can irritate your skin.
- Dry your skin carefully. Never rub your body with a towel, as it can irritate your skin. And this is especially crucial if you suffer from acne or other skin issues.
- Moisturize. After drying your body, apply a lotion of your choice to maximize the benefits of your exfoliating body wash.
Additional Tips on Exfoliating the Body for Men
To get the best results from the best men’s exfoliating body wash of your choice, keep the following tips in mind:
- Don’t limit yourself to your face. Remember, dirt, grime, and debris aren’t limited to your face. After all, dead skin cells can pop out anywhere in your body. So exfoliate beyond your neckline for the best results.
- Choose products with glycolic acid. This property can help dissolve the bonds between your dead skin cells better. As a result, you can scrub them away hassle-free. Plus, glycolic acid can also promote new skin production.
- Pair your exfoliating body wash with the right tools. Although lathering your body wash of choice by hand works, it’s better to use the right tools. For instance, using men’s body gloves can help clean your skin more in-depth.
- Never over-exfoliate. Too much of anything can’t be good to anyone, and this includes exfoliating. For men, it’s best to limit body exfoliation to twice or thrice a week. Going over this can damage your skin, leading to redness and irritation.
- Don’t forget sun protection. Exfoliating your body makes your skin more prone to sun damage. That’s why I recommend using sunblock with at least 30 SPF to protect your skin against the harsh sun rays.
- Always follow instructions. When using an exfoliating body wash, never overdo it. After all, the manufacturers know best about their products. So it’s common sense to follow their labels and not go beyond them.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is it recommended to use an exfoliating body wash for men?
A: No man is the same, but using exfoliating body wash can be beneficial for most men. Not only does the product smoothen your skin, but it also improves your skin health over time. And not to mention, it leaves you smelling fantastic! But keep it to a minimum as over-exfoliating can lead to irritation, redness, and dryness.
Q: How frequently do I need to exfoliate my body as a man?
A: Although it differs for each man, the safest is to exfoliate at least every ten days. However, if you’re on the oilier side, it’s best to exfoliate three to four times per week. On the other hand, limit it to once to twice a week if you have sensitive skin.
Q: Why is it essential for men to exfoliate their bodies?
A: Men need to exfoliate their bodies to get rid of excess dead skin cells, oil, and dirt. Removing these improves your skin health over time, keeping it clean and soft. And not only can this make you look healthier, but it can also make you look younger than you actually are.
Q: What body parts do I need to exfoliate the most as a man?
A: Besides the face, the chest and back are crucial areas in need of exfoliating among men. These places produce more sebum and oils than others in men. And when ignored, these can lead to pimple growth. That’s why I recommend exfoliating when showering.
Q: What will happen if I don’t exfoliate my body?
A: Excessive dead skin cells will gather when you don’t exfoliate your body for a while. And this can clog your pores, creating calluses while drying out your skin. For this reason, hair loss, skin breakouts, and grimy feet are pretty common among men.
Having the best men’s exfoliating body wash on hand can improve skin health, softness, and glow. Otherwise, if you settle for basic body wash, expect drier skin—and worse body odor. That’s why I made this post to make your search for the best exfoliating body washes easier. Each one has its unique advantages and downsides, so choose carefully!
Here at Daily Grooming Tips, we provide grooming solutions that work. We believe that the modern man also deserves pampering and proper self-care. From hair care, beard care, manscaping, and more, we aim to turn you into a dapper gentleman.